Monday, December 5, 2011

Favorite TV Shows #5

5. Rock Star (INXS - 2005, Supernova - 2006) - Many of you many be unfamiliar with this show, but rest assured, it is well deserving of a top 5 spot, and to be completely honest, could easily be my favorite show of all time. One of the reasons that it is not higher than number 5 is because it was only on for two seasons, and did not have time to get old or wear out its welcome. The other reason I did not place it at number one is because it really is not fair to any other TV show to have to compete against Rock Star. The show is American Idol: Rock Season, with really talented musicians.

Do not let the number 5 position mislead you. If I could watch only one TV show for the rest of my life, I would not even hesitate. It would be Rock Star. One of the reasons why I, personally, have two DVR's for myself is because I still have many episodes of Rock Star: Supernova on my DVR from 2006. I barely have any room to DVR anything else without my DVR getting full, and I refuse to delete any episodes. Some of the performances have become a summertime staple, and NOBODY can enter my house in the summer without watching at least 3 or four must-see performances.


The first season of the show was hosted by Brooke Burke (Dancing with the Stars) and was judged by the band INXS. The winner of the show, JD Fortune, became the new lead singer of INXS.


The second season of the show, Rock Star: Supernova, was looking for the new lead singer of the brand new "superband" staring Tommy Lee, Gilby Clarke, and Jason Newstead of Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, and Metallica fame respectively.


Many of my personal favorite moments of television history are from Rock Star, and I know this may be excessive, but in order to convince you all of how unbelievably incredible the show was/is I have done the unthinkable. I decided to rank my 40 favorite performances throughout the two seasons. I couldn't care any less if you think that is ridiculous, or insane, but I guarantee that there is at least one person reading this that has not heard of the show and will fall in love with it. If I can convert one person into a huge Rock Star fan, then I have accomplished my goal.


This "list within a list" was the hardest list I have ever made, but I am satisfied with the decisions I have made, and I hope you enjoy some of the greatest performances that you have ever seen in your life. You are all very welcome.




#40 - "Solsbury Hill" - Toby Rand


Toby Rand is by far one of my top ten favorite people of all time. Get use to him because you will be seeing a lot more from him. This guy can do no wrong.


#39 - "Money" - JD Fortune


JD won season one and became the new lead singer of INXS. He is just about as perfect as you can get.


#38 - "Live and Let Die" - Mig Ayesa


He also did a pretty good cover of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" but I hate Seal and that awful song, so I refused to include it on the countdown.


#37 - "Knockin On Heaven's Door" - Jordis Unga


I am not sure why she is not a HUGE superstar. Something is terribly wrong with this world.




#36 - "Heroes" - Magni "The Ice Man"


Magni is a really good lead singer, but totally incredible with the guitar. That is where he belongs.




#35 - "Clocks" - Ryan Star
Ryan Star has actually become the most successful of all 30 Rock Star finalists over the two seasons. His song "Breathe" was a huge hit last summer.




#34 - "Surrender" - Storm Large
You'll be seeing Storm Large much, much, much, much later on in the countdown if you catch my drift.




#33 - "Bring It On Home To Me" - Suzie McNeil


Suzie was almost the first person kick off the show. Then almost the second. Then almost the third. Then something happened and she did this, exploded, and almost ended up winning the show.




#32 - "Baba O'Riley" Jordis Unga
First performance EVER on Rock Star. This certainly got my attention.




#31 - "Rebel Yell" - Toby Rand
I dare you to find one thing wrong with him.




#30 - "Trees" Marty Casey
Each season around the final 6 the contestants were asked to write and perform their own original song. Four of those songs made my countdown. This is the first of them, by season one runner up, Marty Casey.




#29 - "Starman" - Magni
My favorite Magni performance. This is insanely good. David Bowie's "Starman"




#28 - "Heart Shaped Box" - Jordis Unga
Jordis, Again.




#27 - "Pinball Wizard" Storm Large
First performance of season 2. Welcome to my TV, Storm. I hope you stay for a while.




#26 - "Fix You" - Lukas Rossi
One of the only performances that I liked from season 2 winner, Lukas Rossi. This song, however, could be sung my Miss Piggy and I would still love it.




#25 - "Piece of My Heart" - Jill Gioia
You will always have a piece of my heart, Jill.




#24 - "Lithium" Marty Casey
Somebody is going to have nightmares tonight.




#23 - "Losing My Religion" - Ryan Star
I would LOVE to place this higher than number 23, I just can't. I am so stressed because I love this performance so much, but I feel as though I am not showing it enough respect. Anyway, this is my favorite Ryan Star performance, but I really, really enjoy his post "Rock Star" work.




#22 - "Man Who Sold the World" - Jordis Unga
My second favorite Jordis performance. Her 4th to make the countdown.




#21 - "The Letter" - JD Fortune
I can not believe this did not make the top 20. I hate myself.




#20 - "Lithium" - Dilana
Terrifying. Beautiful. Frightening. Amazing.


#19 - "California Dreamin" - JD Fortune
Is there a way he could have won twice? It seems like one victory is not enough.


#18 - "No Woman, No Cry" - Ty Taylor
This version is even better than Bob Marley. Yep, I said it.


#17 - "Creep" - Marty Casey
Uh, I still like THREE of his performances BETTER than this. How good can someone be?


#16 - "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" - Toby Rand
Uh, I still like FOUR of his performances better than this. How good can someone be? Yes, I know I said almost the exact same thing twice.


#15 - "Suffragette City" - Storm Large
If you think that was great, what she did after she took that jacket off was one my favorite televised performances ever!


#14 - "Pretty Vegas" - JD Fortune

"Pretty Vegas" is my third favorite original song from any of the contestants. This song was on the INXS CD after JD won the show.


#13 - "Imagine" - Jordis Unga
My favorite Jordis performance of her many amazing moments.


#12 - "Throw it Away" - Toby Rand
"Throw it Away" is my second favorite original song by the contestants. My buddy Kris and I both agree that this is one of the greatest songs we have ever seen live in concert.

#11 - "Zombie" - Dilana
This didn't make the top ten? How good are the next ten songs?


*** It is basically a ten way tie for first place, but I know that will never slide with my audience, so here it is.****


#10 - "Suspicious Minds" - JD Fortune

My favorite JD song of the competition. It also happens to be my favorite Elvis song of all time. Yes, Cory, I know that Elvis didn't write many of his songs. Please don't remind me again.


#9 - "Wish You Were Here" - Marty Casey

If you don't know why that is in my top ten then you are a moron and I would like for you to please stop reading my blog.


#8 - "Somebody Told Me" - Toby Rand

It is absolutely disgusting that this performance is number 8 on any list, let alone MY list.



#7 - "Karma Police" - Toby Rand
Does everyone else love him as much as I do? I am not exaggerating when I say that I think 2:09 - 2:10 is my favorite second of any song of all time. I get the chills watching that one second  five and a half years later.


#6 - "Baby, One More Time" - Marty Casey

Don't judge me unless you watch it.



#5 - "Alone" - Jill Gioia
I have seen this song covered many, many times. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a better performance of this song. Ever. I am a big fan of Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart and Jill Gioia does their song better than they do.


#4 - "Mr. Brightside" - Marty Casey
The SECOND best cover of "Mr. Brightside" I have ever heard.


#3 - "Mr. Brightside" - Toby Rand

I am typeless. (get it, speechless, but with typing.)


#2 - "Ladylike" - Storm Large

The. Hottest. Thing. Ever. This was her own original song. U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.   (did I spell that right? That was very difficult to do, and I doubt spellcheck will pick up on it if it is incorrect.)


#1 - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Suzie McNeil
As I said before, she was almost the first, second and third person voted off the show. INXS kept giving her one more chance. Then she does this. And she is now responsible for my favorite TV moment. Ever.




Here, I would normally beg and plead with you all go to purchase the DVD's or start watching the show. Since it is no longer on, and I just spent hours getting the best of the best for you, I suppose you do not have to do anything. Well, except watch all 40 of those videos, every day. For the rest of your life. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment