Thursday, December 22, 2011

Favorite Albums of 2011 (5-4)

5. Deer Tick, Divine Providence

No, I do not just love Deer Tick and their latest album Divine Providence just because they are from Rhode Island. Deer Tick is a perfect blend or rock, folk, and blues, and has a sound that is so distinct that you can easily pick out a Deer Tick song after seconds of hearing it. I have to admit that this is the first Deer Tick CD that I purchased a hard copy of. I have downloaded a few songs here and there, but after sampling a few of the tracks off of Divine Providence , there was no way downloading the tracks would be acceptable. The album has a perfect mixture of songs you want to sing along to ("Funny Word", "Let's All Go to the Bar", and "Miss K." in particular) and songs you simply want to listen and relax to ("Clowin Around", "Main Street", and "Now It's Your Turn.")
Every Rhode Islander should own this CD and be proud that our little state is the home to such an amazing, talented band. Everybody that is NOT from RI needs to:

A) Learn that Rhode Island is an actual state and has nothing to do with New York
and
B) Buy this CD.

"Let's All Go to the Bar" - Since hearing this song for the first time I have not gone to a bar one time without either playing this song, or singing it in my head. This is a drinking anthem.

"Miss K." - This song literally makes me smile.

Incredibly awesome official video for "Main Street."




4. Brett Dennen, Loverboy

                To be perfectly honest, there are a few songs on this album that I barely know. The only reason for this is because I can't stop listening to the same few songs over and over again. Loverboy was in my car CD player for about 95% of the summer and I am pretty sure that 90% of the time I was listening to it I was listening to "Sydney, I'll Come Running" or "Comeback Kid." These two songs would often come on when I was bartending and most everyone knew that I was going to be just about totally useless when they came on because I would first, run into the back and turn the radio as loud as it went, and two, sing along and play the air guitar the entire time.

              I actually saw Brett Dennen in concert about two weeks after this CD was released. I did not yet own the CD so I could not sing along with any of the tracks on the album, but his performance immediately made me go buy it. I have been a Brett Dennen fan for a few years now after Michael, my roommate in Uganda, introduced his music to me and I loved him instantly. (Interestingly enough, Brett Dennen is VERY involved in the organization that I went to Uganda with to volunteer in their schools, Invisible Children. Just another reason why he is unbelievable.) If you don't know of Brett Dennen I beg you to download some of his tunes. The world is a much better place because of this guy!

If you watch this video and do not think it is insanely great, then I pretty much think you are an awful person and a complete idiot.

"Comeback Kid (That's My Dog)"

No comments:

Post a Comment