Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Favorite Songs of 2011 (50-41)

50. You and I by Lady Gaga - As I have said earlier, I try real hard to not like Lady Gaga's music. Reason being is that once I find myself smitten with a Lady Gaga song it is nearly impossible for me to not sing along. There are only so many popular radio stations here in Rhode Island, and when you see someone screaming along to a song next to you while driving down the highway it is not too difficult to find what song they are signing to and either rock along with them, or laugh at them because they are signing along to such a ridiculous tune. I used to be embarrassed to sing along with "You and I" but through time I have come to accept the fact that I like Lady Gaga and do not care if people laugh at me when I sing along. This song also comes on in class just about everyday that I let my fourth graders listen to a little background music. They used to laugh when I sang along, but now completely ignore me and chalk it up as their crazy teacher having major issues.
I would not expect anything less from Lady Gaga in her videos. Very odd.



49. Louder Than Ever by Cold War Kids - I have heard of the Cold War Kids before but never got around to giving them a listen. After listening to "Louder Than Ever" I feel like I need to go back and check out more of their work that I may have missed out on in the past. I am usually a very sympathetic person, however, whenever anyone says anything about someone being hard of hearing or deaf, I often make a joke and say "what?" or "excuse me?" as if I did not hear the person.

Example #1

Other Person - It was so loud in the backseat of the car, I couldn't hear anything.
Me - "What did you say"

Other Person - It was so loud in the backseat of the car, I couldn't hear anything.
Me - Excuse me, I can't hear you.

Other Person - I COULDN'T HEAR ANYTHING
Me - What?

Other person - I hate you
Me - hahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahaha         hahhahahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahaha


Now that I know "Louder Than Ever" I may have to use some of it in my next deaf person joke. Maybe after saying "what?" three times, I will now say "Now I can hear you louder than ever" just like Cold War Kids.





48. A Million Years by Alexander - I always became very excited when this song came on while I was bartending. The song can make you happy even when you have 80 drunks screaming your name for you to get them a Pina Colada and a Corona with lime........... And an ice water. After watching the video for "A Million Years" it is abundantly clear that Alexander (or whoever produced the video) was on a tremendous amount of drugs when he thought up of the concept. Just watching the video makes me feel like I have been on a week long drug ecscapade.


47. Paradise by Coldplay - It is not often that I like a Coldplay song upon first listening, but "Paradise" really sucked me in the first time. I have never liked Chris Martin more after watching the video for "Paradise." It is about a man (Martin) dressed in an elephant costume. He decides to leave his home in London to find his paradise; the African safari. When Martin finally reaches his paradise his band mates are also dressed in elephant costumes and playing their instruments. It is probably my favorite video of the year and is a must watch if you are bored (which you must be if you are reading this.) the video will make you will love the song even more than you already may.



46. Shake Me Down by Cage the Elephant - The song was technically released last November, but the video did not come out until January and the song was not eligible for last years countdown, so it had to make this years. This is the second of three Cage the Elephant songs to make the countdown, and ironically, the second relation to elephants in as many videos. Maybe somebody should have "caged the elephant" in the last video. Hahahahahhahhahahhahahahahahhaahhahahhahahaha
This video is pretty awesome as well. It was nominated for Best Rock Video at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards, but ultimately lost out to something much more deserving (which you will be reading about in a few days.)





45. Promises, Promises by Incubus - Incubus never changes. This song could have fit in on any of their last few albums, yet still they always sound modern and current. "Promises, Promises" may not be anyone's favorite song of the year, but I can't imagine anyone not liking the song. It is a really well-written, thought provoking song that most everyone can relate to. "Promises, Promises" proves to me that Incubus is way more than just a 90's rock band that has faded away; they are extremely talented guys that will hopefully be around for another few decades.



44. Get it Daddy by Sleeper Agent - I have never heard of Sleeper Agent before "Get it Daddy" but if this song is any indication of how much potential they have then I am very excited to hear what they do next. Sleeper Agent, however, could very easily go the way of becoming one hit wonders if they do not jump upon the success of "Get It Daddy." They actually seem like really cool kids and I hope to hear a lot more of them in 2012. If by the end of 2012 we do not get any more Sleeper Agent gems then I think it will be pretty safe to say we may never hear from them again. Another song like "Get It Daddy" could catapult them into mainstream rock and Sleeper Agent could be a band to watch out for in the alt. rock world.



43. Comin' Home with Me by Chase Rice - As I said in my previous post Chase Rice is my favorite person of 2011. "Comin' Home with Me" is the second of FIVE Chase Rice songs to make the countdown this year. I love songs that go through stages of someones life (Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers", Carrie Underwood's "All-American Girl", and Kenny Chesney's "There Goes My Life" are a few that come to mind) and "Comin' Home with Me" is as good as any. Chase Rice should be a superstar in the country music scene, and hopefully 2012 will be his year to shine even brighter.



42. Lost in My Mind by The Head and the Heart - I talk about music with a lot of people and I have never heard of anyone not really liking this song. It has a little something for everyone; rock fans, country fans, folk fans, and pop fans all get their fix from this beautiful song. It is nearly impossible to not sing along with the "Whahooooooooo oooooooo ooooooo, Whahooooo oooooooooooooooooooo" part. Even bar patrons were participating by the end of the summer as they kept hearing myself, my co-bar tender, Erin, and my bar back Joey, signing along. Go buy this album and don't worry how scary the album cover is, you'll get use to it.




41. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by Coldplay - This is my favorite Coldplay song since Viva La Vida and is definetly in my top 5 favorite Coldplay songs of all time ("Fix You" easily wins that race.) Like most Coldplay songs I have no idea what Chris Martin is talking about, but I could not care any less. Chris Martin could sing a Chinese Food Take Out menu and I would still love it and try to sing along. I can't think of any artist that I have grown to love more than Chris Martin. I never really liked the guy (and I have no idea why) but this year he really grew on me and now I think he is one of the most talented musicians of our day. I have never wanted to go to a Coldplay concert more than I currently do, and hope I get that chance someday in the near future. I do feel that it is crucial to be near the very front of the stage at a Coldplay concert as I would feel like a complete idiot jumping up and down to Coldplay songs while sitting in the last row if the balcony.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I got a shout out!!! Yeah co-bartender!! I also definitely agree with you about the Alexander video!

    ReplyDelete