Monday, December 26, 2011

Favorite Songs of 2011

This year, rather than only choosing 50 songs from 95.5 WBRU to make my list of favorite songs of the year, I decided to use 50 songs from WBRU AND add in my favorite 25 songs that are not played on WBRU (a few country tunes, some embarrassing Lady Gaga tunes, and a few folk rock gems.) There was a lot of music I enjoyed this year that did not get played on 95.5 and it would not be fair for me to not include them when ranking my favorite music of the year. So, for the first time, this years countdown will feature my 75 favorite songs of the year rather than my top 50. I will, however, not bore you with a write-up of 75 songs. I will simply list them, include the video if possible, and move the countdown along. Once I get to the top 25 or 50, I will go into more depth about why I love the song. Enjoy!



75. Adolescents by Incubus

The first of two Incubus songs on the countdown.

74. Somebody I Use to Know by Gotye

I am so glad I found Gotye this year. This guy's voice is unbelievable.


73. Replica by Big Talk
Great song, great video, great album, from the great RonnieVannucci (drummer from The Killers.)



72. Irresistible Force by Jane's Addiction

This could very well be my favorite Jane's Addiction song of all time.


71. Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People

I loved the song for quite a while, but grew very tired of it after hearing it all day every day. Still, it deserves a spot on the countdown. 



70. Curl of the Burl by Mastodon

Most of their stuff is way too hard core for me, but I really enjoy this tune.


69. Options by Gomez
"Options" is a feel good song. If you don't smile while listening to it, then you are a pretty miserable person.


68. Help is on the Way by Rise Against
Another solid track from Rise Against. They can't release a bad song.


67. Aberdeen by Cage the Elephant
The first of three Cage the Elephant songs on this years countdown.


66. The Sound of Winter by Bush
Bush is back!


65. Young Blood by The Naked and Famous
I pretty much have no idea what they are singing in this song, but nevertheless I make up my own lyrics and sing along.


64. Helena Beat by Foster the People
I have no idea why I am so harsh on Foster the People, but I am. Maybe I will like them more in 2012.


63. After Midnight by Blink 182
I am very happy that Blink is back. They were gone for way too long.


62. Whirring by The Joy Formidable
Pretty terrifying video, but awesome song.


61. Dominio by Jessie J
She scared the hell out of me when she sat on stage and sang with a broken leg at the MTV VMA's but I am no longer scared of her, and really, really like "Dominio" a lot.


60. Block After Block by Matt and Kim
I have never been a huge Matt and Kim fan, but I think that has now changed.



59. Got it All by Portugal. The Man
Great year for Portugal. The Man


58. Don't Gotta Work It Out by Fitz and the Tantrums
I was obsessed with this song for a few weeks this summer. The entire album is enjoyable. I strongly suggest purchasing it at some point in the near future.


57. Dark Horses by Switchfoot
Not my favorite song on the album, but Switchfoot can do no wrong in my eyes.


56. Junk of the Heart (Happy) by The Kooks
If you just listened to that I am pretty sure you are still smiling.


55. All I Want by A Day to Remember
If you need to get pumped up, this is the song for you.


54. Honey Bee by Blake Shelton
My first country song to make the countdown. Blake Shelton is pretty damn cool.


53. New Low by Middle Class Rut
"New Low" is a new high for Middle Class Rut as far as I am concerned.


52. Girls of the SEC by Chase Rice
I am pretty sure Chase Rice is my favorite person of the year. He made the countdown FIVE times. More than any other artist. I love everything this guy does. If you haven't heard him yet, go buy all his songs on ITunes right now. Even if Country Music is not really your thing, I am pretty sure you will dig him.


51. Take It Or Leave It by Sublime with Rome
It is difficult to enjoy this song when it is 30 degrees outside. Sublime is a summertime band to the extreme.



Top 50 songs will be my usual lengthy write-ups and explanations as to why each song made it on the countdown! I try to post 50-40 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment