Thursday, January 6, 2011

Greatest Movies of All Time 90 - 81

90. Cabaret (1972) - How can you NOT love Liza Minnelli?
I am obviously kidding. I did love her when she had a recurring role on Arrested Development, but other than that, I think I would be just fine if I never had to see her on my TV again. She has got to be the most annoying person I can imagine. I can not even believe that people think she is a good singer. Anyway, she is obviously in this film, which was just as annoying and bizarre as she is. It is not that I hate musicals, there are a good number of them that I really enjoy, it was simply that this musical was very annoying, not terrible, but annoying. To be fair, I had ZERO expectations of enjoying this film before I watched it, and as usual, I was right. (#63 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIbUT6u7Q    I mean, really? SERIOUSLY??????

89. Sunrise (1927) - Another silent picture. This one is from the 1920's. I actually really liked this film, the only reason it is this low on the list is because I am starting to like all the films on the list now and there are a good number of silent films that I like more than this. The acting is amazing because they obviously are not speaking and they have to tell the story with just their actions. The lead actress in the film, Janet Gaynor, won the Best Actress Oscar in the very first Academy Awards. There is a little bit of trivia for you so you can thank me when you get that question at a Mega Touch machine and earn a spot on the leader board, more than likely below RyanJacobson (as my name just so happens to fit perfectly in the amount of letters available to type in your name. I cannot however, leave a space between my first and last name, but I have accepted it, and am thankful it fits at all.) (#82 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUNbSZD-vs   Classic part. The guy wants to kill his wife because he is having an affair. He decides to take her out to sea and kill her there, but he then changes his mind, just as a storm approaches. One thing leads to another and he ends up on shore, without her, wondering if she is dead. He then falls back in love with her and decides to ditch the trashy broad he was having a fling with. All without saying a word!

88. The Searchers (1956) - Just another typical boring Western? Not this one! This is John Wayne at his best. Unlike your typical western where everyone usually dies towards the end; this feel good western BEGINS with the murder of an entire family! What a twist!!!!! John Wayne then gets pissed and "Searches" for the one soul Surviving family member, his little niece. I wont give away the ending, but it is pretty heart warming, but then again, aren't all Westerns heartwarming? (#12 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pdytUHdoYA   Here is the trailer - Hilarious!

87. The Maltese Falcon (1941) - This movie was actually kind of ridiculous, but I can not hate any movie with Humphrey Bogart in it. It was just so hard to take this movie seriously. I think I really would have liked this movie if it was a comedy. Everyone in the film was just so over-the-top and the Maltese Falcon was so ugly. Couldn't they have at least made the falcon good-looking? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Actually, I think I just hate falcon's. I kind of hate birds in general, so maybe that is why I was so turned off by the coveted falcon statue. (#31 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeyVs6u_FG8     They got FOOLED by a FAKE FALCON! I need to brush up on my alliteration since I am now teaching English again!

86. Ben-Hur (1959) - There are only two things I hated about this film. I think it was wayyyyy too short. And the Chariot scene. (#100 on AFI list)



If you do not know that I am being sarcastic about the two things I hated about the film, then please stop reading this blog. You clearly do not get my humor. Oh, and how could you NOT love a film which guest stars Jesus?  Contrary to popular belief, this was NOT Jesus' on screen debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LHWyaeEHY    Jesus is the best actor EVER!!!!!!!!!!! How Jesus did not win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor is BEYOND me. It has to be fixed.


85. King Kong (1933) - Despite how realistic this movie is, I thought I was going to love it much more. I have seen bits and pieces of this movie since I was a child, but it wasn't until last year that I watched the entire movie from beginning to end. Like Jesus in Ben Hur, I cannot believe that King Kong was not even nominated for an Academy Award. Many times throughout the film I had to remind myself that this was not real life, and in fact, this was just an actor. The way King Kong uses his facial expressions is pure talent. King Kong has since passed on and the world loss one of the best actors of our day. A little known fact about King Kong is that he was suppose to play the role of Humphrey Bogart's character is Casablanca, but due to an undiagnosed illness he had to turn the part down. What could have been......
(#41 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WpKl2A_2k 

84. Shane (1953) - Nobody can shoot a gun like Alan Ladd (Shane.) This is a Western with a story. I don't really remember what the story was exactly, but I remember enjoying it. I also remember feeling a little uncomfortable at how much the little boy in the film idolized Shane so much. I mean, I can see idolizing the lead singer of a band, but a Cowboy? Come on kid. Get a grip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWdPmapuOd4   The first 5 seconds of the trailer are hilarious, even though I do feel real bad for the poor kid. Shane did not even look back. .....I just realized I would be the worst cowboy of all time. I'm a sucker for a little kid calling my name and asking for me to come back and play.

Also, to see Shane shooting a gun you can fast forward to :58
"I've heard that you're a low down Yankee liar." - Shane
Classic!
(#45 on AFI list)

83. A Night at the Opera (1935) - When I saw that the list contained multiple Marx brothers films I almost threw up. They have always grossed me out for some reason. What a naive fool I was.
The Marx brothers are AWESOME. I still do not like to really look at them, but they are hilarious. Most of their films kind of blend together for me though, but I ranked this one as my least favorite. Apparently this stateroom scene is very famous, although I had never seen it prior to watching the entire film. I highly suggest people getting over their Marx brothers phobia and watch as many of their films as possible. (#85 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvugebaT6Q

82. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - Does anyone else hate how happy the dwarfs are while on their way to work? It really makes me think I am in the wrong profession. The contrast between the dwarfs whistling their way to work and the look on my face my entire drive into work is vast. Why are they so happy? Maybe I should become a coal miner. They have such easy jobs, and are never at risk for injury or death.
Anyway, this movie has it all. I laughed, I cried, I had pure hatred in my heart, and I loved. I will now make a mini-list inside of my AFI top movie list. This list will rank all 10 major characters in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Starting with 10, my least favorite.

10. Bashful (what is wrong with this guy?)
9. The Wicked Witch
8. Sneezy (What exactly is the point of his character?)
7. Prince Charming
6. Happy
5. Grumpy (he's not too Grumpy to sing though)
4. Doc
3. Dopey
2. Snow White (She seems a little Ditzy doesn't she?)
1. Sleepy (If there was ever a remake with real humans, I could play him in my sleep.) Pun intended.

(#34 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURThUaRjCc


81. Sophie's Choice (1982) - I try to use the phrase "Its like Sophie's Choice" at least once a week. As I mentioned in my Top 50 Songs of 2010 post, Sophie has to make an impossible decision; to save the life of her son or daughter. This saying is also used quite often in pop culture making light of a very sad situation. For example, if I was at Dairy Queen and next in line to order my blizzard, but still had not made the decision as to whether I wanted my blizzard to contain M&M's or Snickers, I would say "OMG, it's like Sophie's Choice." It basically means, UGH, I wish I didn't have to make this difficult decision.
The movie itself drags a little, but the acting by Meryl Streep will be etched in your brain until the day you die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQXHw7nQMW4
Only watch if, for some reason, you want to start balling like an infant and be clinically depressed for about a week. Or, watch if you already are clinically depressed; this might make you feel a little better about yourself and your life.
(#91 on AFI list)

No comments:

Post a Comment