Sunday, January 16, 2011

Greatest Movies of All Time 70 - 61

70. Tootsie (1982) - How could a movie with a name like this NOT make the top 70. I mean, what a great name. The truth is, this movie is so unrealistic; who could mistake Dustin Hoffman for a woman? Why does the supporting cast not realize that she is a he? If you look like a guy AND sound like a guy, chances are you might be a guy. Why was anyone shocked when Tootsie's real identity was revealed? I don't get it.
On a side note, this movie reminds me how much I hate Mrs. Doubtfire. The stupid kids REALLY don't know that Mrs. Doubtfire is their father? AND the WIFE????? Come on.(#69 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlXE1Yq0AnQ
This is an actual quote that someone posted on youtube under the video.
"is this film worth watching? cuz i didnt like the trailer LOL but im interested in transsexuality in films xD"

WHO SAYS THAT?


69. All About Eve (1950) - OK, Bette Davis really owes a lot to Kim Carnes, singer of "Bette Davis Eyes." For years, because of the song "Bette Davis Eyes" I thought Bette Davis was really hot. I imagined her to look like Marilyn Monroe (who coincidentally has a small role in this movie.) You can imagine my disappointment when I put in the DVD, thinking I am about to watch one of the most beautiful woman to ever grace our screens, and this is what I get....



   BUMMER!


OK, after further research, she was hot when she was younger, but there was nothing mentioned in the song that she turned into a mean, scary, old woman.
This movie did give us the classic quote "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." And yes, she says "bumpy night," not "bumpy ride" contrary to popular belief. I liked the movie, but could not get past how old and mean Bette Davis was. (#28 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-ckMup6SI     "Fasten Your Seatbelts...." quote. This old hag can throw them back. She just keeps drinking and drinking. She is kind of awesome. Great scene, and yes, that is a young Marilyn Monroe at the :37 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eja-popojUo   "Bette Davis Eyes" NOW I get it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kg8hxn8myw   BRANDON FLOWERS COVER OF THE SONG! I FORGOT ABOUT THIS. I WILL NEVER ASK YOU TO WATCH ANOTHER VIDEO IF YOU JUST WATCH THIS FOR ME.
And NO. The guy that yells "Brandon, I love You" at the :23 mark is NOT me. But, I kind of do love the guy that yelled it. I also love the beginning of the video when Brandon says "If you don't like this one, there is something wrong with you." I could not agree more. I wish this youtube video of Brandon Flowers singing "Bette Davis Eyes" was on the AFI list because it would definitely be my #1.


68. Duck Soup (1933) - Here is the second movie on my list from the Marx brothers. Like I said before, they use to really creep me out, but after watching their movies I think they are amazing.
** Mini List within a list time**
Favorite Marx brother:

#4 - Harpo Marx (he never talks, he is like Penn, or Teller, whichever of them doesn't talk. It is stupid.)
#3 - Zeppo Marx
#2 - Chico Marx
#1 - Groucho Marx - He is the man.

They are probably the best set of actor brothers of all time. Excluding Alec, Billy, Daniel, and Stephen Baldwin. Sorry, I have to do it...
#4 - Daniel Baldwin - Hate him
#3 - Stephen Baldwin - Don't like him. Although he does earn points for being on the Celebrity Mole and Celebrity Apprentice
#2 - Billy Baldwin - How good was he in "The Squid and the Whale?"


#1 - Alec Baldwin - Is he really related to these fools?


67. Modern Times (1936) - Talk about frightening. I literally had nightmares very often when I was a child about Charlie Chaplin. I would rather watch an episode of Unsolved Mysteries that takes place in my neighborhood than watch a clip of Chaplin. Terrified does not even come close to explaining how I felt when I saw him. I would rather have an axe murderer running loose in my hometown than have Charlie Chaplin do some stand-up comedy in my hometown. Why did he scare me so much? What the hell was wrong with me as a child?
Needless to say, I have gotten over my paralyzing fear of the funny man. He is hysterical. I am not kidding. If you have never seen a Charlie Chaplin film, you have no idea what you are missing. Like the Marx brothers most of his films kind of blend in together, but they are all very funny and worth watching. (#78 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CReDRHDYhk8   See, there is nothing to be scared of, Ryan.


66. Some Like It Hot (1959) - The second, and final cross-dressing film on the countdown is "Some Like it Hot" also staring Marilyn Monroe as well as Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis. This is basically the same movie as "Tootsie" but this is about 2 musicians, not an actor. This was 1959 so the makeup was far worse than Dustin Hoffman's in "Tootsie." It was basically 2 guys with some lipstick and wigs. But, of course, everyone is fooled. This is on AFI's list as the greatest American comedy of all time. I don't know if I would go that far, but it is funny and really sends out the message that cross-dressers are people too! (#22 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I


65. The Last Picture Show (1971) - This movie makes me wish I lived in the 50's. However, the second I am done with the movie and realize how much  easier our lives are today I am thankful to be born when I was. Everything seemed so relaxed back then though and people didn't have to deal with cell phones, or emails, or books.
The only thing they cared about was having fun and maybe seeing a nice picture at the movie house every now and then. That is all. I wish I only had to worry about having fun and watching movies. This list making can be very stressful. (#95 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQomR5xJ_Y   I love when the kid nonchalantly says "I'll see you in a year or two... if I don't get shot." as he is leaving to go to war.


64. Vertigo (1958) - I need to make clear that from these 10 movies on, I really like or love all the remaining movies. I am a big Alfred Hitchcock fan and James Stewart is one of my favorite people of all time. Vertigo is incredible; I have seen it four or five times, and will hopefully watch it many more times before my inevitable demise, but it just can't compare with other Hitchcock films, and certainly can't compare to other Stewart films. Also, the film contains a lot of dramatic pauses, and those have always kind of scared me.
The plot of this movie is crazy and as with all Hitchcock films, leaves you guessing until the end. There are so many twists and turns that you are hooked from the very beginning. If Stewart and Hitchcock were still alive and released a movie every day I would go to the movies every day of my life to watch their latest flick. I could never get tired of them.
I do, however, think that this movie made me a hypochondriac because I was convinced that I had vertigo for many years after first viewing this film back in college. (#9 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0bV2gh4E7Y



63. City Lights (1931) - Another Charlie Chaplin flick. Like I have said before, they all are very similar, but this one has such a great story. I was amazed at how quickly this film flew by. The silent movie kept my attention through the entire film and that is pretty hard to do. I can not believe how my feelings towards Chaplin have changed since I started watching these movies. I may even join some sort of Charlie Chaplin fan club or something. I wonder if they have Charlie Chaplin conferences of some sort. That might actually be too much for me to handle. I don't think I am prepared to be in a room with 500 Charlie Chaplin look-alikes. Maybe in ten more years I will be ready for that. I need to take baby steps. I'll just stick to watching his films and not having nightmares for right now. (#11 on AFI list)

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAxWIbTqCs   This boxing scene is hysterical. I know I may say hysterical a lot, but this really is very very very funny. This is probably my favorite Chaplin scene of all time.


62. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Four hours. That is almost like a full day of work. Fortunately, the movie is great. There are parts that certainly could have been edited out; many parts. Even though it is so long, it does not seem like 4 hours. I think that Peter O'Toole's role in this is one of the best performances of our times. He did not even win the Academy Award though. I don't get those awards sometimes. Some of the best performance of all time have not been given the award. Peter O' Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause," and Johnny Knoxville in "The Ringer." The fact that Knoxville did not win the coverted award for his portrayal of Steve Barker, the broke, lovable loser who pretends to be mentally challenged to rig the upcoming Special Olympics and win the gold medal is beyond me. (#7 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDF0at7sC0M   Peter O'Toole's unforgettable performance as Lawrence of Arabia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9sTMJvyXU  Johnny Knoxville as Steve Barker. One of the biggest overlooks in Academy Award history.


61. The Deer Hunter (1978) - Great movie, but I am not exaggerating when I say that 45 minutes of the first hour could have been edited out. I got very angry at how long and pointless the wedding scene was. The wedding itself was like a half hour. Seriously, at least a half hour of just dancing and cheersing and celebrating. Totally useless.
The movie does, however, have one of the most heart-stopping scenes I can ever recall seeing in a movie. The scene when they were forced to play Russian Roulette with the guns was seriously unforgettable. I felt like I was there and the gun was to my head. It really must have boosted the economy of Vietnam. How could you not want to book a trip to Vietnam after viewing this flick. It seems so welcoming and inviting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRHd5pngWE   A MUST-WATCH scene.





No comments:

Post a Comment