Friday, January 21, 2011

Greatest Movies of All Time 50 - 41

50. Apocalypse Now (1979) - "Apocalypse Now" is such a bizarre movie. I kept going back and worth while watching it as to whether or not I even liked it. Once I got to the final few scenes, however, I realized how incredible the film is. Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando both give unforgettable performances, and the supporting cast is also pretty damn good. This film also gives us the quote "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" which is pretty classic.
If watching these 100 movies has done anything for me, it has proven to me how awful I would be at pretty much ANY job besides teaching and bartending. We are only 50 movies in and so far I realized I would be the worst Cowboy, Astronaut, Detective, Juror, Gold Miner, or Dwarf of all time. (#30 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt0xxAMTp8M


49. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Am I the only one that kind of likes Dr. Hannibal Lecter? Maybe I am, but I don't care. First of all, I kind of can't stand Jodie Foster or Clarice. I think Jodie Foster is just so lame. Has she EVER done a role in which she is fun? I can't help but look at her in any movie she is in and think "she would be the least fun friend of all time." I know that may sound kind of weird, but she just bothers me. GREAT movie though and my brother often makes the claim that it is the second best movie of the 90's behind "Braveheart." CLEARLY he has never seen "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead" OR "Cable Guy." (#74 on AFI list)

In lieu of a "Silence of the Lambs" clip I decided to include a nice segment from BBC on Cannibalism. I thought it was fitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DeVovHw1RY


48. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - Of all 100 movies on the list, this was the most pleasantly surprising to me. I was so angry when I saw that I had to watch "Yankee Doodle Dandy." The song itself has always made me cringe. I really loved this movie though, so much in fact, that I found myself humming along to the song that I once so despised (and by humming along, I may mean singing loudly.) I think this is the most patriotic movie I have ever seen and will probably watch it every Fourth of July for the rest of my life. OK, maybe 5th of July, I am usually a little preoccupied with drinking and eating on the 4th to find time for movies. (#98 on AFI list)

SPOILER ALERT
"Over There" WILL make it on to my list of my 1000 favorite songs of all time. It will probably be somewhere in the 900's, but with me that is still really good.
"Grand Old Flag" is pretty good too. But may just miss the countdown. However, it certainly will make my list of my Top 50 Patriotic Songs of all time. Keep your eyes peeled for that list coming late June of 2011!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z98aBCe8E    I get the chills every time I watch this. Of course, this is only the second time I have ever watched this, but you get my point.


47. North by Northwest (1959) - Has Cary Grant ever done anything that is not perfect. This guy is the man. He can even outrun airplanes that are shooting at him while running in corn fields. I would have liked to meet the pilot of the plane that was trying to kill him. How bad of a shot can you have? If you have never seen this film then shame on you, but I went out of my way to find a picture of the scene in which I was referring. See below.


I know Cary Grant is fast and all, but really? You couldn't at least shoot his leg or something?
Anyway, I love Alfred Hitchcock, I love Cary Grant, I love Eva Marie Saint, and I love the awful airplane pilot that not only could not keep the plane straight, but who has worse aim than Helen Keller.
(#55 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g458w2X9uHc    The famous airplane scene.


46. Swing Time (1936) - Fred Astaire and Ginger Roger's best performances of their careers. "Swing Time" was another film that I really had no desire to watch and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did have a little problem with Fred Astaire's dancing though. I feel as though he mimics Derek Hough from Dancing with the Stars a little too much. I wish Astaire would be a little more original with his moves and try and break away from the style that Derek Hough has made so recognizable. (#90 on AFI List)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qx6X6shD9o   Hough and Scherzinger in "Dancing with the Stars"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPgplMujzQ   Astaire and Rogers in "Swing Time"

Astaire should be ashamed of himself. Come on. Be original.


45. Platoon (1986) - Charlie Sheen was so jealous of his dad's success in "Apocalypse Now" that he insisted to star in his own movie about the war in Vietnam. That is a true fact.
I give "Platoon" a little edge on "Apocalypse Now" because it is nowhere near as weird as "Apocalypse Now" and there is a little more action. Of course Charlie Sheen also starred in the war epic "Hot Shots." And who didn't want to enlist in the navy after watching "Hot Shots Part Deux?" (#86 on AFI list)

Does anyone remember how many Academy Awards "Part Deux" won. I believe it was somewhere in the 7-9 range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPi8EQzJ2Bg  


44. Midnight Cowboy (1969) - I love the relationship between Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman's characters in this film. They were enemies then best friends. They hated each other, then loved each other. This was the first movie in history rated "X" to win the Best Picture Award. It is now rated "R" because they took out a scene and re-rated it. It is hilarious to think that this movie was rated "X." I don't get why. I thought the sixties were cool, but giving this film a rated "X" rating makes me think the sixties were a little lame. It would be like rating a documentary on Woodstock "X."
Anyway, I seem to love characters in movies that are disabled or ill. I love Dustin Hoffman's character "Ratso." But I get so mad when Voight's character keeps calling him "Ratso" even when he is near death. All the poor guy wanted was to not be called "Ratso." It made me so mad. Also, how creeped out would you be if a guy died in the back of the bus you were riding in and the bus driver just kept driving until you reached your final destination. I'd be like, "Get me off this bus, there is a dead guy right behind me." I never understood why nobody else was bothered by it. (#43 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24yQQMuCLk     Final scene (with the dead guy on the bus.) It is a bit of a spoiler so do not watch if you are planning on watching the film any time soon.


43. Double Indemnity (1944) - This is the first line of the movie:
"I killed him for money - and for a woman. I didn't get the money. And I didn't get the woman." Talk about a spoiler alert. Hello! Thanks for giving away the ending jerk.
Even though we know the ending at the very beginning of the film, it is still a really great movie. Double indemnity is a real thing; it is a clause or provision in a life insurance or accident policy whereby the company agrees to pay the stated double face of the amount in the contract in cases of accidental death.
HOW GREAT IS THAT!?!
If that doesn't make you want to go out and kill your spouse, but make it look like an accident, I don't know what will.*
* The owner, creator, writer, genius, behind ryanscountdowns.blogspot.com is not responsible for any "accidental deaths" / murders that take place as a result of learning about double indemnity.
(#29 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wjJcuGsVE    I really do wonder how many murders have taken place as a result of this brilliant flick.


42. The Apartment (1960) - A young Jack Lemmon stars in this classic movie about a bachelor who lives in an apartment on his own. He does, however, lend his apartment to his superiors at work in return for raving reviews and promotions. The superiors are not simply using his apartment to take a little cat nap after a long days work. They are using it for their affairs. Lemmon quickly finds himself in way over his head, just as he is falling in love with his apartments elevator girl (Shirley MacLaine.) He quickly realizes that not only is MacLaine one of the girls using his apartment with a male suitor, she is using it with his BOSS! What are the odds of THAT?
The movie is funny, but it also reminds us that we do not need to pay for hotel rooms to have an extra-marital affair, we can use a trusty co-workers house! (#80 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRta_ko0XGU   I want a remake of this film. The superiors at work could be played by Tiger Woods, Brett Farve, and Jesse James.


41. The Sixth Sense (1999) - I believe this is the newest movie to make the list. I, too, was surprised when I first saw "The Sixth Sense" on the list, but after thinking about the film, I realized it does deserve a spot on the coveted countdown.
WHY was I so shocked when I found out that he was dead? Shocked! The movies OPENS with him getting shot. What is wrong with all of us that did not catch on to what was happening. How quickly we all forgot about "Ghost."
This is one of the only movies that is better the second time you watch it. It is like watching a totally different movie knowing that he is dead the entire time. The movie is pure genius, and I do not care if any of you are mad at me for ranking it this high. It is a great movie and just because it stars Haley Joel Osment does not mean it can't be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZi3BmrUVrc   He dies in the OPENING scene after getting shot by  New Kids on the Block's  Donnie Wahlberg. What a way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment