Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Greatest Movies of All Time 80 - 71

80. Do the Right Thing (1989) - It took me a very long time to finally watch this movie. I kept putting it off for months and months. I even ordered it from Netflix, it came in the mail, I put it in my DVD player, and watched about 2 minutes of it. I decided I could not bring myself to watch it, and put it right back in the mail. I did not "Do the Right Thing."
Months later I ordered it again, and finally watched it, and really enjoyed it. It is a great story of the race issues in America in the eighties. It reminded me of the very first season of the Real World in 1992. Actually, if this is not Kevin Powell's (Real World 1) favorite movie of all time, I would be shocked. (#96 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muc7xqdHudI  Just like we do in Westerly, Rhode Island, they also break open their fire hydrants and cool off on hot summer days.


79. M*A*S*H (1970) - This is the movie that spawned the long running television series of the same name. The only problem I have with this film (and I guess it is kind of a big problem) is that I do not think it was that funny. It is a comedy and there are some funny parts, but I don't remember really laughing at all. If a movie is a "Comedy" I expect to laugh at least a few times. It reminded me of watching a "Very Special" episode of an eighties sitcom. For example, the "Very Special" episode of Punky Brewster when Punky's BFF Cherie gets locked in a fridge during a game of hide and seek. Or, the episode of Family Ties when Alex P. Keaton gets addicted to diet pills. Or who can forget the episode of Saved By The Bell when Jessie Spano gets "so excited."
OK M*A*S*H is nowhere near as serious as those episodes, but I guess my point is that I wish it was much more funny. (#54 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UeYGS0UU6E   OK, it was kind of funny. Forget everything I said above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c   Jessie Spano in one of the most classic TV moments ever!


78. Annie Hall (1977) - For some reason I can not stand Woody Allen. Are his movies serious? Are his movies funny? I watch them and I still have no idea. I do know that he is a complete nerd and whether or not he is suppose to be funny, he does not make me laugh at all. This movie is alright, but I just don't like his style, or really anything about him. (#35 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzHphcc2Jw    Yep. Confirmed. He sucks.


77. The African Queen (1951) - I did not love this movie, but the two stars, Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn could sneeze on film consecutively for 2 hours and I would probably enjoy watching it. That said, the two of them made this movie. I probably would not have remotely liked it if it was not for them. I do however, hold a little special part in my heart for the film because when I was in Uganda we went on a safari cruise down the same river where the film took place. We saw Murchison Falls, which is clearly in a part of the film.
Other than Bogart, Hepburn, and the fact that I have been there, The African Queen is just an average film for me. (#65 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s2r8_BwkQo    The Special Effects are spectacular! Hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVaPr1zu3lE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzEuOUtCf8
    Murchison Falls, on the Nile. I highly recommend you all to check it out next time you are in the vicinity of Uganda. And lets face it, who doesn't travel to Uganda at least a few times a year.

76. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) - I love the plot of this movie; three soldiers return from war, but all three of them return to lives that are vastly different from what they knew before the war. One man returns to a loveless marriage, one man returns to find that his 2 children have grown up without him, and one man returns to face life with no hands, as his hands we blown off during the war. The guy with no hands actually lost his hands in real life too. I wonder if that was a coincidence or not. This is a timeless, heart warming film for the ages, kind of like "Cliffhanger" staring Sly Stallone. (#37 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMmP4-tXKE

75. American Graffiti (1973) - This film was written by George Lucas, and I am pretty sure it is the only film he has ever written. At least, the only film I am familiar with by him.
It is basically American Pie, but set in the 60's, and not as funny. It is funny don't get me wrong, but it is like "Grease" funny..... which I guess is not that funny. I think it is old people humor. It is more silly funny than funny funny.
I really liked the movie though, although someone dies at the end and it really pissed me off.  If you watch the movie I recommend shutting it off in the last three minutes. It is not necessary to know that someone dies, the movie will be just as good, and you will not be sad. (#62 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Jo1gH89VM   "Where were you in '62?" Genius.


74. Network (1976) - This movie could contain just one scene, the "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore" scene, and it would still be this high on the list. The scene is SO over-the-top and ridiculous, but I love it. The movie is about a news anchor that gets laid off from work because of low ratings. He then announces that on his last night he will kill himself on live television. One thing leads to another and he becomes a worldwide phenomenon. Pretty soon millions of people across the country are screaming out their windows "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore." I try to say that at least once a month, but it usually falls on deaf ears, and also, nobody takes me seriously.(#64 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE    One of the best scenes in cinematic history. Still very relevant today. WATCH THIS SCENE!!!


73. Taxi Driver (1976) - Besides the cast (Robert De Niro, Cybill Shepherd, Peter Boyle, Jodi Foster, and Harvey Kietel) and the Director (Martin Scorsese) this movie is pretty good. They really ruin what could have been a terrific movie.

Calm down. I'm kidding.

Despite his murdering rampage, and his attempt to assassinate the Senator, I kind of like Travis Bickle (De Niro.) I certainly would not want to be friends with him, or even acquaintances, but I don't think he is that bad of a guy. I feel sorry for him.
A little known fact about this film is that it was John Hinckley Jr's. obsession with Jodi Fosters 12 year old prostitute character in the film, which made him try to assassinate President Reagan in 1981. That is why I watch this every year with my middle school students in class.
I'm Kidding again. (#52 on AFI list)

This movie also gave us the classic line "Are you talkin to me?" Here is it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E    (Every mothers favorite scene)


72. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) Almost every Character in this film has major issues. Blanche DuBois (played by Vivien Leigh) and Stanley Kowalski (played by Marlon Brando) are two of the craziest characters I can remember in any film. I feel so bad for Stella. Her sister (Leigh) is insane, and her husband (Brando) is a complete jerk. I wish I knew someone named Stella so I could go outside of their home and just yell "STELLA! Hey, STELLA!" over and over again like Brando.
If I ever have a daughter I think I will name her Stella just for that reason. I'd be like "STELLA! Hey, STELLA!" and she'd be like "What dad?" and I'd be like "Nothing. Just saying hi" then go back inside.
If you have no idea what I am talking about then watch the clip below. (#47 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8   "STELLA!" Scene


71. Toy Story (1995) - Toy Story was one of two animated movies to make the list (the other being Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.) I don't think I have ever met a person that has not seen (and really enjoyed) Toy Story. There is really no need to discuss this film because I am sure you all know it, so I will give you my second "list within a list" and give you my top 10 favorite characters in "Toy Story."

10. Mom - WHY cant the poor kid take Woody AND Buzz. Really, is one more action figure going to be too much to fit in the car? Don't even get me started on this lady.
9. Sid - Why is he so mean?
8. Slinky Dog - Although he did play a huge role in getting from the window to the ground. What would they have done without him?
7. Rex - He is way too flamboyant
6. Hamm - Funny, kind of just there.

5. Woody - He is kind of lame. He is mean to Buzz, and he doesn't have much patience for the rest of the toys. He is kind of bossy too.
4. Andy - I would be good friend with this kid. He has such an imagination.
3. Mr. Potato Head - I love him. He is funny, quite witted, and I don't think he even has any idea of how funny he is. Unintentional humor is my favorite, and this guy has it.
2. Bo Peep - She is so hot. If there was ever a cross-over of Toy Story, Avatar, and The Smurfs, wouldn't Smurfette be PERFECT in the role of Bo Peeps Avatar?
1. Buzz Lightyear. No surprise here. Who doesn't love him? There wasn't a dry eye in the movie theater when he was at the toy store and saw all the other Buzz's. My heart was hurting for him. (#99 on AFI list)

No comments:

Post a Comment