Saturday, January 29, 2011

Greatest Movies of All Time 40 - 31

40. Goodfellas (1990) - The irony of the title of this movie is puzzling. These are not GOODfellas at all, they are BADfellas. The "F" word is used over 300 times in the flick; that is about once every 2.06 minutes. In case anyone is keeping track, 300 F#!@ 's places "Goodfellas" in ninth place for all time "F's" in a single film. Number one should not even count, because it is a documentary entitled "F***" and is about the word itself and its contribution to society; it is used 824 times.
Despite all the foul language, "Goodfellas" is one of the best films to come out of the nineties and certainly deserves a spot in my top forty. (#92 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk    He is funny. Like Haha funny.



39. Citizen Kane (1941) - This film does not get enough credit, it is almost always overlooked by critics and list makers.
If you have any idea of film knowledge you already know that I am being sarcastic. "Citizen Kane" is widely known as the greatest film of all time. It is number one on AFI's list and almost all best movies of all time lists. The movie is great and "Rosebud" is one of my favorite words of all time. It was difficult to not place this film a little higher, but I do not want to be swayed by other lists, this is about my favorite movies of these hundred, and to be honest, there are a lot I like better than "Citizen Kane." (#1 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jipboWI9uiE     "Rosebud" - The most famous single word in movie history.

38. Pulp Fiction (1994) - There are so many classic quotes from this movie that even if you do not love this movie I am sure you know quotes from it. I have even went out of my way to order a quarter pounder with cheese before just because I wanted to say royal with cheese, but I got scared and did not say it. I always chicken out and do not say royal with cheese, but one day I will.
Also, the scene of John Travolta accidentally shooting the guy in the back seat of the car in the head is hilarious. I laugh every time I see it. (#94 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtwFugudZE   Royal with Cheese scene.

37. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - I just watched "The Bridge on the River Kwai" a few months ago and I loved it. It was one of the last movies on the list that I watched and I don't know why I waited so long. The movie was phenomenal from the first scene to the last scene, although, while I loved the last scene because of the action and the famous bridge blowing up, I hated it because so many of my favorites died, and I hate it when my favorites die at the end.
Also, I have always hated the fact that it is called "Bridge on the River Kwai" Can someone please tell me why it is not called "Bridge on the Kwai River?" Am I being a complete moron here, or does anyone else agree that it is very confusing. (#36 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFMmJMNRv-Q

36. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Thank God that I watched this movie by myself because I think I cried on a few separate occasions. I'm not talking Biggest Loser, or more recently American Idol crying, but I shed a tear or two. I could not help it, but the end is very sad, and it is not even suppose to be sad. It is suppose to be uplifting and positive, but I don't really see it that way. I guess I am not that deep; I just take things for face value.
The thought of my mother reacting as calmly as Henry Fonda's mother reacted when she found out that she would probably never see her son again is laughable. My mother would have fainted the second I started talking, which would have forced me to stay and make sure she was OK, which would inevitably lead to my capture and ultimately my death. So luckily for Henry Fonda, his mother clearly did not care about him as much as my mother cares about me. (#23 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yer4L1Uhayc    Henry Fonda telling his mother he had to leave and would probably never see her again.

35. High Noon (1952) - By far one of the best Westerns I have ever seen. The movie takes place in real time. It is the 85 minutes before a train is going to arrive in their town, which will be carrying a fresh-out-of-prison bad guy. It is kind of like the TV show 24, but a Western. To tell you the truth, I do not know why I loved it so much, as I typically do not love Westerns, but I loved everything about it (the acting, the plot, the way they sucked down the shots of whiskey at the local tavern.)
There is another reason why I would be the worst cowboy of all time. Sure I can handle one or two shots of whiskey every now and then, but to drink it like they did and not even have a Bud Light chaser????? Come on. My stomach would literally explode after just a few days of hanging in the Wild Wild West. (#27 on AFI list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNu4-sSglY    Can someone that actually watched this trailer please tell me what an "Annal" is. Why am I 31 and have never heard that word. That is hilarious.


34. Casablanca (1942) - This is another film in which I was shocked that it made the list. I have never even heard of this movie before, or any other the actors/actress in it.
Kidding. Actually this movie was one of the main reasons that I decided to watch all 100 of the movies. I realized that I had not seen a lot of these classic movies and this was one in particular that I was disgusted with myself that I had not seen. I obviously had very high expectations for the film, and for the most part, they lived up to them. I think the movie was great, and there are so many classic lines that I can not even begin to count them all. I do have to admit, however, that there were a few parts that dragged on for me. I am in no way saying that I did not really enjoy the movie, I simply lost a bit of focus during a few parts.
And, if you know me, I never lose focus with anything. I am always paying attention at meetings, and lectures. In fact, people usually look to me when they daze off and are in need of detailed notes as to what the speaker is talking about.
They are usually puzzled, however, when they look at my paper, expecting to see detailed notes of the lectures because I am so vehemently writing away. The look on their face when, instead of seeing notes, they see lists such as "The 100 Hottest Girls ever on The Real World" or "Top 50 Bands that begin with the letter "A." Hey, I need something to do to pass the time in meetings, lectures, and classes. (#3 on AFI list)

One of my dreams in life is to go to a bar in which a guy named Sam is playing nothing but 90's Rock Music. In between each song I would yell to Sam the name of the song I wanted to hear. I would then yell "Play it Sam" "Sing it Sam" and obviously when he was done, I would yell at the top of my lungs "PLAY IT AGAIN SAM!!!!!!!!!!!"     I can dream, can't I?
Here is the scene which inspired my dream.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vThuwa5RZU


33. Rear Window (1954) - This is my FOURTH favorite Jimmy Stewart film left on the list. That means *SPOILER ALERT* that are are still 3 Jimmy Stewart (or James as I sometimes like to call him) films left in the top 32. There has never been, nor will there ever be, another actor like this guy. James Dean had the potential and if he was not such a reckless driver, he could have given Jimmy a run for his money. Also, for some reason I really like Leonardo DiCaprio. I am in no way prepared to put Leo in the same category as the two Jimmy's but he is a distant third and hopefully has another good 70 years before he retires/dies. I don't know if I will be able to handle it if Leo meets the same fate as Jimmy S and Jimmy D. Both of their deaths were so hard on me and I don't think I can handle saying goodbye to Leo too.
OH. "Rear Window" is SO good too. Watch it! (#48 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B6rfV_wH4U    My 4th year of college I actually lived in an apartment complex much like Jimmy's in "Rear Window." I would always sit at the window and spy on everyone else and pretend I was Jimmy Stewart. Sometimes I would even wrap an ace bandage around my leg and pretend it was broken like Jimmy's. The girl I lived with at the time (Colleen) would always come home and see me in the window and all the other cats in everyone else's window. It was me and those damn cats all day long, just staring at each other.
I knew exactly what time the Meals on Wheels truck would come and feed my elderly neighbors each day (12:16pm.) I was always jealous and secretly could not wait until I was elderly so someone would come and feed me. The meals always looked so good, but I am sure they were gross. I always imagined they tasted like hospital food. I knew exactly what time everyone went to work, and I knew exactly what time everyone came back from class. I would even get worried if they did not arrive on time. I know it seems very creepy, but if Jimmy Stewart does it how bad can it be?
Luckily (for my neighbors now) all I can see when I look out my windows are trees and the road. LAME!

32. Sullivan's Travels (1941) - Never heard of it? Me neither before I watched it. Who knew that such an unknown movie could almost crack the top 30. I like to call this flick my Dark Horse. The plot is genius. It is about a very wealthy Hollywood movie director. He wants to make a film which depicts the troublesome economy. He decides to become poor (for a month or so), and see what it is like in the shoes of people not fortunate enough as him. I know that it sounds like they ripped off the FOX series "Secret Millionaire" but I think "Sullivan's Travels" came out first.
One thing leads to another and the man ends up in a series of unfortunate events. I'm not talking about Count Olaf and the Baudelaire Orphans, I am talking about him being mistaken for a homeless bum and charged with murder!!! (#61 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teTQF04jxRc   Very funny, very cleaver film. Check it out.


31. Psycho (1960) - Much like how I feel towards Dr. Hannibal Lector, I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for Norman Bates. I feel bad for the guy. I forgive him for killing his mother and her lover, but I can not really forgive him for killing Janet Leigh (Marion Crane.) I really hope they did not give Bates the death penalty because he obviously has severe mental issues and did not know what he was doing when the murders took place. I may even be able to forgive him after a few years of extreme mental therapy and 40 - 50 years in jail. (#14 on AFI list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG3-GlvKPcg   If this does not make you want to watch/rewatch this film, I don't think anything will.

No comments:

Post a Comment