Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Favorite TV Shows #8

8. Saved by the Bell (1989 - 1993) - If it wasn't for "Saved by the Bell" I am not sure I would ever be able to get out of bed and go to work in the morning. To help you better understand, the following are the reasons why I am almost late to work every single morning of my life......

* I live 45 minutes from where I teach, therefore, I drive just about the entire state of Rhode Island everyday.
* I set my alarm for about 3 minutes before I need to leave my house.
* I can not leave my house until a bad song or a commercial comes on VH1's "Jump Start" and sometimes that takes a real long time. I also have to triple check that I have DVR'd my new favorite show on television (it didn't make the countdown because it is new) BIG MORNING BUZZ LIVE. It is awesome. Stephan Jenkins from Third Eye Blind was even on this morning. I almost had to call out of work.
* I have to get a medium iced coffee and one hash brown every day from Bess Eaton, which is in the complete opposite direction of the highway.
* Since I have zero patience, I usually can only stand at the gas pump for about 45 seconds, which forces me to have to get gas just about every morning.

and finally,

* If I don't pay real close attention to where I am driving, I may end up missing a turn or two and getting lost going to work, which unfortunately has happened on several occasions. Oops.

So, what does all this have to do with "Saved by the Bell" you ask? Well, lets just listen to the lyrics of the theme song, shall we?

Is that my life or what???

#1 - An awful sound of an alarm. Every morning when the alarm clock on my phone scares the hell out of me, I jump up and shut the awful sound off. Whatever my alarm is set to, it works, because it is the worst sound in the entire world and I would go to any and all lengths to shut it off as soon as possible.

#2 - "When I wake up in the mornin' and my alarm gives out a warning, I don't think I'll ever make it on time."  - Oh My God. This is the theme song to my life. If only I set my alarm for about 5 minutes earlier, my life would be so much easier.

#3 - "By the time I grab my books and I give myself a look I'm at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by." - I bring a book bag with me to school like I am 13 years old. I don't care, I just like book bags. My book bag is basically filled with fun things in case I ever am bored whereever I go, and medicine for the many ailments I seem to have. The book bag itself is pretty useless, but it really makes it seem like I do a ton of work from home, and people often commend me for my dedication to my profession. They have no idea that inside my bag is a "Rolling Stones" magazine, DayQuil, Gum, about 65 pens, TUMS, and more CD's than people have in their homes.
Also, just like in the theme song, I barely have time to look in the mirror before I leave for work, which often leads to my students saying "what is wrong with your hair" about 3 times a week when they walk into class.

Finally, about 4 out of the 5 school days a week, as I am pulling out of my driveway, the school bus cuts me off and I have to sit behind it as it stops at every other house and the monitor looks under every single wheel, every single stop. The first 15 minutes of my ride to work is usually simply myself repeating the phrase "if I left 10 seconds earlier I would have beat this bus" over and over again.

* On a side note, I would never consider inflicting physical harm on any human being, but if I had to ever physically strangle someone to death, if I was FORCED to choose somebody, the choice would be simple and it would be the stupid, awful, bus monitor on bus 67. I apologize to the bus monitor on bus 67 if she reads ryanscountdowns.blogspot.com but, come on lady, you SAW all the kids get on the bus, and so did all the drivers in all 10 cars waiting for you.


#3 - "It's alright cause I'm saved by the bell." - I have NO CLUE how things work out, but for some reason I walk into work at the same time every day, with two minutes to spare. There is only ONE little girl that beats me to work (EVERY SINGLE DAY), and is waiting outside of my door, and I consider that a huge success.


I sing this song to myself just about every morning and it comforts me that no matter how many good videos are on VH1, no matter how long I wait behind the bus monitor from hell, no matter how long I wait for the guy at Bess Eaton to ask me if I would like anything else besides the medium ice coffee, and hash brown that I get every single day, and no matter how lost I may get going to work, I will always find a way to get there on time, and just like Zach Morris, I have an uncanny ability to get myself out of just about every awful predicament that I may find myself in.


And as for the show, I have seen every episode multiple times, and believe that Zach Morris is a true idol. I wanted to be like him in Middle School, High School and College, and still, as a grown man, would take it as one of the highest of compliments, if I was compared to Zach Morris.

There is no need for me to attach a bunch of video clips of "Saved by the Bell" because you either know and love it, or you are old and won't watch the video clips anyway. That is in no way a dig to all of of older blog followers, but I am just being realistic.

I will, however, attach one of the most dramatic, intense, frightening, bone -chilling, scenes in television history. It is when Jessie Spano, pulled a, well.......... Jessie Spano.

I reenact this scene, by myself, just about every night, but instead of caffine pills, it is usually little plastic cups of delicious NyQuil. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Also, it has been about 20 years since this originally aired, and since then, I have never, I repeat, NEVER, said the phrase "I'm so excited" without saying "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so...... so....... scared" and then pretend to have a meltdown of epic proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment