Monday, December 13, 2010

TOP 50 Rock Songs of 2010 - #50 - #41

For my very first countdown on this new blog I decided to pay homage to my favorite genre of music, Rock. The criteria for this countdown is simple. The song must have been a part of 95.5's  (my favorite radio station of all time) playlist at some point this year. A few of the songs may have been released at the end of 2009, but as long as it was not included in last years list (which I suppose I can post if there are any curious fans out there) it is eligible for this years list. A couple of stand-out songs from 2010 which are not included in this years list (due to not meeting the eligibility requirements) are Pink's "Raise Your Glass",  Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie", and surprisingly both Bruno Mars songs. Finally, Third Eye Blind did not have a released song this year, therefore, the top spot is up for grabs this year! Without further adieu, my favorite 50 Rock songs of 2010!

50)  Immigraniada (We're Comin' Rougher) by GoGol Bordello – Initially I was not a huge fan of this song. It actually kind of scared me. I even won tickets to see them in concert and choose to not attend. Looking back on that warm spring night, I wish I had sucked it up and went to the show. I REALLY like this song now, and am no longer scared of it. I am, however, a little frightened by the video, but the video is really awesome and highlights immigrants coming to this country (which we are all immigrants to in some way or another) from all over the world. Watch the video, but be prepared to be a little terrified by the lead singer. IN NO WAY does he have a nice voice, I just like the way the song pumps me up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oioNZSPqRM

49) Heavy Cross by Gossip – Just as Immigraniada’s music video helped the song move up on my list, the video for Heavy Cross did the complete opposite. Granted this is not a list of the best videos of 2010, but the video does have some sort of impact on how I feel about the song. I had NO idea that the lead singer of this band looked the way she does. The song did a lot more for me when I imagined the lead singer to look like say, Jillian Michaels, not a Biggest Loser contestant on Day 1. Anyway, despite the lead singer having some physical issues the song is still pretty awesome and I will listen to it on the radio any day of the week.

48) Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap - It is impossible for me to NOT sing along with the part Sweeeeeeeeeeet Dissssssssssspoooooooooosiiiition, and I don't believe anybody that says they don't sing along as well. It is pretty much the only words I understand in the entire song, but I love that part. The rest of the song is good, I just can't really understand him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C8e7nNLZNs

47) Letters From the Sky by Civil Twilight - I have heard this song before, but had no idea what the name of it was, and had no idea who sang it. So, as you can imagine, it was pretty difficult to find. This song was played on one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I actually think I was the only person in America to watch this show..... AND, I wasn't even IN America while half of it aired, I was in Uganda and had to DVR it. Anyway, the show was Harper's Island and this song was played in either the penultimate episode or the finale (I don't remember) when two of my three favorite characters died. Oh, and if you are thinking "we'll at least one of your favorite characters didn't die" stop thinking that because he died in the very next scene. Anyway, it is a nice peaceful song. Doesn't pump me up, but is certainly nice to listen to when you are just hanging around and making lists of your favorite songs of the year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wa7dFR09vU

46) Home by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros - If I am correct, I believe that my friend Kate knows someone who is cousins with someone in the band. Either that or my friend Kate is friends with someone that knows someone who is cousins with someone in the band. Either way, I have some MAJOR connections with them. Also, I believe I recall Kate telling me that Eddie Vedder is a HUGE fan of the band. Any band that Eddie Vedder is a fan of is a fan of mine... well, you know what I mean. This is a very fun song and it makes me happy just listening to it. Especially the whistling, I am a sucker for songs with whistling in it. A little known fact about me is that I might be the best whistler I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y

45) Freak by Smashing Pumpkins - I just started listening to this song and I don't know why I have been avoiding listening to it. It is real good and I am actually pretty mad at myself for denying this wonderful song from myself for so long. What is wrong with me sometimes?
OK. I kind of just like the refrain, but I like the refrain a LOT.
I will buy a drink for the first person that can correctly tell me what Smashing Pumpkins means in Britain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJHbJfv_PUQ

44) Dominos by The Big Pink - One of the things that has baffled (I don't know how to spell that word) me the most this year has been WHY this song has not been on commercials for Dominos Pizza. WTF? I get so mad every time I see a Dominos Pizza commercial and don't hear this catchy tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnNlQ-KNv4

43) Here We Are Juggernaut by Coheed and Cambria - First of all, any song that includes the word "Juggernaut" in its title deserves to be on some sort of list. It always takes me a while to warm up to any new Coheed and Cambria song, but once I finally warm up to them I usually really like them, and this song is no exception. I think I subconsciously try to NOT like Coheed and Cambria because they are kind of weird and I don't really like looking at the lead singer (he reminds me of an even fatter and hairier (is that how you spell "more hairy?") Adam Duritz in the video for Mr. Jones.) OK, upon re watching the video maybe not fatter, but definitely more hairy. Anyway, if you haven't heard the song yet, give it a listen. It is a pretty cool video despite the hair ball lead singer being ever-present.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFtM4GIRA4

42) Radioactive by Kings of Leon - I knew there was a zero percent chance of K.o.L. having a more successful year this year than last year. Zero. With last years success of "Use Somebody" "Sex on Fire" and "Notion" I knew that whatever they released this year would pale in comparison, and I was right. I did not even really like "Radioactive" for a long time, but it grew on me and I can honestly say I like it, and I still do like them. I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert last month and they were real good. On paper I should be a HUGE K.O.L fan, I am just not. I have no idea why, there is no logical explanation. Everyone is stunned when I simply say " I like them" or "They were good" but that is exactly what I think of them. I like them. I think they are good. "Like" and "Good" are perfect words for how I feel about Kings of Leon.
Oh, and it didn't help that I had (what seems like) 60 beers before, during and after the concert and barely remember it. Maybe that is why I simply say it was "good."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPBbMbKSZrQ

41) Jesus Stole My Girlfriend by Violent Soho - I remember the first time I heard this song. My students were taking a quiz and I had the radio on in class (just a little background noise.) I remember really like it and wanting to know who sang it. I did not want to turn the radio up and distract the students because I am such a kind, selfless, compassionate teacher. I remember literally getting on my hand and knees (because my radio is on the floor) and putting my ear up to the radio to hear the DJ talk about the song and hopefully inform me who sang it. I remember one of my students saying "What are you doing Mr. J?" and I told them I wanted to hear who sang the song. Not ONE student even questioned it and they all went back to work and if seeing their 30 year old teacher on the floor with his ear pressed up to a radio was something they see everyday, which it probably was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrAfkyq-xM    (Very Modern Day Nirvana-esque, this video reeks of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Pun intended.

There you have it. 50 - 41. Next ten songs coming soon! Feel free to comment with any positive things you have to say about my list, or myself.

1 comment: