Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Favorite Rock Songs of 2010 - #30 - #21

30) Dog Days Are Over by Florence and the Machine - I have been getting a lot of feedback from people saying that they are not familiar with a lot of the songs in my countdown. Besides my obvious response (you need to listen to 95.5 WBRU more often) I say, "Maybe if you listen to the song, you will know it." I feel that will be the case with this song. You may not know it by the title, but if you have not been hibernating for the past six months you should know this song.
This video is literally like a bad nightmare that I can not escape from, but her voice is awesome. I am embarrassed to say that I have not heard any other song from Florence and the Machine but only time will tell if they can live up to this great tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU

29) This Too Shall Pass by OK Go - Not only is this one of my favorite sayings of all time, but this video might crack my top 20 videos of all time. As I have said previously, this list is not about videos, it is about the song. I think that I love the song so much simply because of the title and video, but it is still worthy of a top 30 showing on the list. I recently saw OK Go in concert. My brother seems to think they were the worst band he has ever seen in concert (and we had to listen to that comment throughout the 7 songs we heard them play.) I did not think they were terrible, but they were quite different and I would rather have left the concert then to listen to my brother complain any longer.
No matter how average/terrible they are in concert I still think this song is great and the video is classic. If you have not seen this video, do yourself a favor and watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w ( It is one of the most watched youtube videos of all time, and well deserved.)

28) You Got Me by Crash Kings - For some crazy reason this song would come on the radio about 3-4 times a week just as I was about to get out of my car and walk into work. Because I have a slight case of OCD I would wait in my car and pretend I was doing something until the song was over. I would ALWAYS shut the car off the second the song was over because if I loved the next song I would have to listen to it too and then I would be late to work. It takes me about 15 seconds to walk from my car to my classroom, but God forbid I miss the first 15 seconds of a song that I can play at any given time on my itunes. Anyway, this song reminds me of sitting in my car in the parking lot at work (at 7:35 in the morning) and pretending that I was looking for something important (as if I have anything important in my car) and covering my mouth as I sang along in case anyone was looking at me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31twJwf9PTA

27) At Or With Me by Jack Johnson - I bet you no more than 3 people that will read this will know this song by its name. I did not even know the name of this song and I own the vinyl AND the CD for some reason. This is by far the most fun song of the year and it reminds me of summer (which makes me sad right now because it is 17 degrees out and I am typing this while wearing a Snuggie.
For some reason the video really made me laugh, but maybe it is just because I had one too many glasses of wine tonight! Hahahahahahahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_10MzkX6k

26) Tighten Up by The Black Keys - This will probably make most top 10 lists for songs this year, but it did not crack my top 25. I really like it, and I really like the band, however, I just could not rank it any higher than this. For some reason I got kind of sick of it. If I made this list in June it may have made my top 5, but it is now December and I have heard it so many times that if I did not hear it for another 6 months I would be just fine. I do, however, really like it, and this was the year that I fell in (really like a lot, but not LOVE) with the Black Keys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpaPBCBjSVc

25) Beautiful Thieves by AFI - When I first started creating this list "Beautiful Thieves" was meant to be around 45 - 50. The more I listened to it, the more I kept moving it up higher and higher. It is one of the underdogs of the list (the Sanjaya Malankar if you will) of 2010. OK, not the Sanjaya because Sanjaya sucked and this song certainly does not, but this song is like the Holly from Survivor Nicaragua. I really thought it was going to go real early because it was kind of weird at first, but as time went on I ended up really rooting for it and happy it made it this far. Congratulations "Beautiful Thieves", AFI, and Holly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz__wHVCNng  (Spoiler Alert: Every person in the video dies except for the band) Nobody was going to watch it anyway.

24) Impossible by Anberlin - Words can not describe this song. It is IMPOSSIBLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjE_2fFMnG0


23) Sing by My Chemical Romance - My Chemical Romance is the first of seven bands to have two songs on this years countdown (Na Na Na was #37.) Unlike "Na Na Na" it did not take me long at all to really like "Sing." "Na Na Na" is simply a fun, silly song. "Sing" is the complete opposite. It is very ironic that this song appears on the countdown right after "Beautiful Thieves" because in this video I think the only people that DO die is the band. The video is like a mini movie so if you are bored at work grab some popcorn and your favorite alcoholic beverage, kick back and enjoy "Sing."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgnDLWeeaM

22) Resistance by Muse - There are two songs on the list that I consider Epic. This is one of them. I have heard from people that have attended a Muse concert and almost all of them say it is almost life-changing. I really want to see them live just to see how it changes my life. I am willing to bet I will be the same person walking out of the show that I am walking into the show. I would, however, like to test it out. Muse had a song my 2009 favorite songs list (The Uprising #43) but this song blows "The Uprising" out of the water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPE9uSFFxrI    EPIC!

21) Trippin' Down the Freeway by Weezer - Weezer can do no wrong. I have loved these guys for about 16 years now. That is insane. They surprise me every time they release a new CD and it has a song like this on it. I know that a lot of people love Weezer, but I think they are extremely underrated.
I LOVE when this song comes on the radio when I am driving down I-95. I can not help but blast the song, roll the windows down and sing as loud as I can. (Is I-95 even a freeway? I just realized that I have no idea what a freeway is. Anyway, I-95 certainly feels like a freeway when I am "trippin" on it and this song is on.) This is one of those songs that I don't even care if people are laughing at me singing, I just can not resist.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OallS8SKI0

Top 20 Tomorrow. Who's excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment