Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Favorite Game Shows of All Time (40 - 36)

40. Lingo (2002-2007, 2011-Present) GSN -

 "Lingo" is one of my favorite GSN game shows ever and pretty much all I hope to see when I decide to check out the Game Show Network. Not only is "Lingo" a fun game to play, it also can be quite hysterical to watch. Some of the spelling mistakes made by the contestants are jaw-droppingly amazing.
It is very easy to play along with "Lingo" at home; and quite fun too. Even though there is absolutely no need for me to spell the word out loud, I still do, just as if I am a real contestant on the show. If the puzzle looks like this.....

P_ _ _ _

all I have to do is yell out my answer of "Plant." However, just to fit in with the contestants I yell out "Plant. P.L.A.N.T" To be honest, I never really thought that was strange until now. I have been playing "Lingo" that way by myself all these years, and I am pretty sure it would be imnpossible to stop doing it, so I will continue to spell my 5 letter words out loud, all alone, with watching "Lingo."

Finally, I will put the odds at about 2% that 70 year old host Chuck Woolery and 33 year old co-host Shandi Finnessey were not having an affair. There is just about no way those two were not playing a little Lingo of their own after the cameras stopped rolling.

 
Chuck Woolery is 70. If that isn't the most depressing thing you have heard all day, then I don't know what is.
Some laugh out loud "Lingo" bloopers, and No, Cory, the hilarious episode that you had saved on your DVR for months is not included in this blooper reel. I could not find it. Sorry, I tried.



39. Say What? Karaoke (1998-2003) MTV -

"Say What? Karaoke" was a must watch show for me. Since I have won a few karaoke contests before I kick myself everytime I think of "Say What? Karaoke" and my lack of determination to get on the show when I had a chance. The music was great, the judges were usually well know, current celebrities that I appreciated, and all 4 hosts were fantastic...

* Dave Holmes, MTV VJ, walking encyclopedia for music knowledge and trivia, a true idol of mine.



* Teck Holmes, Real World Hawaii (no relation to Dave Holmes. AT ALL)


* Joey McIntyre, Yes, I get it, he was a New Kid on the Block, but I actually kind of like him and think he is a cool guy.


* Danielle Fishel, Topanga from "Boy Meets World"



I can not begin to count how many times my brother and I have done karaoke to Blink 182's "All the Small Things." It just never gets old.



38. Nick Arcade (1992-1993) Nickelodeon
 

If you watched this show, I am sure this will bring back major memories for you that I am sure you have not thought about in 20 years. "Nick Arcade" was on from 1992-1993 (I was 12-13 years old.) What more could a 12 year old boy want than to become a part of his favorite video game? Looking back now, "Nick Arcade" was possibly the cheepest game show in the history of game shows. I am pretty sure I could film an episode of "Nick Arcade" in my parents basement if I needed to.

I do not even need to say that the show is about as dated as a game show can possibly be (wait until you watch the clip below, it may literally make you cringe.) This list, however, is a list of my favorite game shows of ALL TIME and for one year in the early 90's I was in awe of this show and thought it was just about the coolest thing television had ever seen.

Check out the video below. Clearly, it did not take much to amuse me as a child.

BY FAR the worst player in the history of game shows. Seriously, this girl is THE worst game show player, on any game show, of all time. Please watch. If you do not laugh, then something is seriously wrong with you.

This was the most painful thing I have seen in a very long time. They must have only casted the dumbest kids they could possibly find.  It was so bad that I could not look away. It was actually so bad that I kind of loved it.



37. Trivial Pursuit (1993-1994) Family Channel


There are not many games that I enjoy winning more than a nice game of "Trivial Pursuit." You cannot win "Trivial Pursuit" just by having a lot of knowledge in one particular subject area; you need to have at least some basic trivia knowledge in all subject areas. I do, however, get so jealous of my competitors when they still have "Entertainment" questions that are needed to be answered. I usually am completely finished with my "Entertainment" pie pieces within seconds and am envious that I cannot answer any more music, television, or movie question. It really is not fair sometimes.

Just about every "Trivial Pursuit" game I have ever played the order in which I obtain my pie pieces is as follows...

Pink (Entertainment)
Orange (Sports and Leisure) if there is one thing I am good at besides entertainment trivia, it is leisure, and leisurely activities.
Blue (Geography) I did teach Middle School Geopgraphy for two years, and my shower curtain is a map of the world, so I should know SOMETHING right?
Brown (Art and Literature)  I do have 2 degrees in English and have taught English for 7 years, so you would think I would actually be a little bit better in this category, but, sadly, I am not that great.
Yellow (History) I have a degree in Social Studies and I taught Civics for 2 years. Why am I so bad at History?
Green (Science and Nature) - I lose. (Although I have not played "Trivial Pursuit" since I began teaching Elementary School, in which I teach Science daily, so maybe I will be much better at this category now, but I doubt it.)

Regardless of how good or bad you are at "Trivial Pursuit" it is always so much fun to play and playing in teams or with a partner is a great way to spend a night. (With a thirty pack of beers and a few bottles of wine, obviously.)
WARNING - Drinking while playing "Trivial Pursuit" with your friends in teams or pairs will ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS end in a fight. No matter how old you are, how long you have been friends, or how much of a calm, non-confrontational person you are.....

Alcohol + Trivial Pursuit = Major fight which will lead to the end of the night.


There was also a newer version of "Trivial Pursuit" called "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" hosted by Peter Brady (Christopher Knight.) That show does not take up a spot of its own, it simply falls under the "Trivial Pursuit" umbrella. Here is a clip from the modern day version of the show.

I really want to play Trivial Pursuit now and will challenge anyone to a friendy game or two at any time. And by "friendly game" I mean play for either money or rounds of drinks. Or Itunes, Ebay, or Southwest giftcards.


36. 1 VS. 100 (2006-2008, NBC / 2010-2011, GSN)


I know that "1 Vs. 100" was not as huge of a hit as NBC expected it to be. It was by no means a flop, it just was not the breakout hit that "Millionaire" was. I LOVED the concept of 1 Vs. 100 simply because I am a man that is obsessed with elimination of any type. I loved the idea that the 100 members of the "mob" were eliminated after each question, and found it fascinating to watch the number of contestants in the mob dwindle.

The grand prize was $1,000,000 which was obtained if the single player (the 1) eliminated all 100 players in the mob. This did not happen until NBC ordered a special "Battle of the Sexes" episode of "1 Vs. 100" in which 1 female would take on 100 men (YEAH, good luck with that sweetheart) and 1 man would take on the 100 females in the mob. Not surprisingly, 21 year old Jason Luna (MALE) defeated the entire mob of 100 ladies; single-handedly proving the point I made in my last post about men being much better at trivia than women are., Thanks Jason, you're the man!


PLEASE watch the videos below. It will bring a tear to your eye. The kid is so nice, and so geeky that it is impossible to root against him. Even the ladies in the mob were cheering for the kid.

Part 1 of Jason Luna Vs. 100 Dumb Girls

Part 2 of Jason Luna Vs. 100 Women (only 23 ladies left)

Jason Luna wins $1,000,000

This seriously may be my favorite game show moment of all time. Jason, if you read this, I just want to let you know that you are my idol. Will you be my friend? Hit me up.

1 comment:

  1. Game on! Trivial Pursuit challenge! Name the time and place. When you are feeling better...I don't want you to have any excuses:)

    ReplyDelete