Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Favorite Game Shows of All Time (35-31)

35. Chain Reaction (1980, 1986-1991 - NBC / 2006-2007 - GSN) Chain Reaction may be one of the most underrated shows on the countdown. The concept is simple; so simple that it is almost insulting, but, as easy as the show seems, I could never get enough of it. Here is an example of a particularly simple "puzzle" on Chain Reaction.

FINAL
FOUR
SQUARE
DANCE
PARTY
TIME
TRAVEL
GUIDE
Even if the puzzle looked like this (below) I am still confident that I would be able to solve the entire round in one guess.

Final
F
S
D
P
T
T
Guide

There. How difficult was that, stupid Chain Reaction contestants.

I remember how mad I use to get when contestants screwed up the simple puzzles with totally ridiculous guesses. Chain Reaction pitted teams of 3 guys against 3 girls, and this is yet another example of a game in which I would not allow myself to play, even if the casting directors begged me to participate on the show. If one of my teammates could not figure out Final FO_ _ then I don't think I would have the self control to not flip out on him live on camera. It always blew my mind when contestants would laugh it off when their trusty teammate lost the game (or even one round) for the team. NO! No, it is not OK that you couldn't solve the "puzzle" Tooth Bru__. I don't care how many cameras were in my face or how many thousands (let's be honest, its the game show network) of people were watching me at home, Helen Keller would even be able to detect the look of utter disgust on my face, and our friendship would surely be all but over thanks to Chain Reaction.

But, I certainly did love watching, and hope, someday, it will return to our television screens with a new batch of foolish men and women.

This puzzle is not as easy as my example, but still, all 6 of these contestants are terrible. What in the world is the casting process like to get on this show? At one point the puzzle was actually solved and all the girl had to do was read it and still got it wrong. I need to move on because I can feel my blood pressure starting to rise.



34. Wipeout (2008-Present) ABC - Now, a game show where having brains is actually frowned upon during the casting process, Wipeout. Now Wipeout is a show that I loved for the first season, enjoyed the second season, and probably will never watch again. I understand that the show has changed some obstacles, and at least tries to stay current, but it is just difficult for me to sit for an hour and watch the same thing over and over again. Also, I despise when any game show contestant seems to be acting, or putting on a show for the cameras, and Wipeout is chuck full of contestants that are way over the top to try to be funny or endearing.
Also, I am not too sure if they still have the big red balls, but how many contestants do you have to watch plummet into the water before you learn that you will not get to the other side by running across them. I must have seen at least 100 Wipeout contestants attempt to run across the big red balls, and I think one successfully got to the other side. One. Doesn't that tell you that you maybe should try something different?
Again, Wipeout is yet another game show that I have no desire to be a part of. My ego has me convinced that there is no way I would not win the $25,000 but the people at Wipeout are much more concerned with making people laugh then they are with finding someone that could potentially win the show. And lets be honest here; it is MUCH more funny to watch a 200lb lady smash their heads on big red balls and tumble into the water than it is to watch a 150lb man do the same. Wipeout would want absolutely nothing to do with me:(

99 epic failures, 1 lucky success. Just jump in the water and swim people, it will be much quicker.



33. Fun House (1988-1991) FOX - Here is a show that is bound to make anybody in their late twenties to mid thirties feel even older than they already feel, JD Roth's classic kids game show, Fun House. I don't believe you if you remember this show and say that you being on it was not one of your dreams. I was so jealous of the Fun House contestants and would have given anything to be able to compete in the final round and run through that fake cardboard house of nothing but pure fun.

Here is a little clip to refresh your pathetic, old, shriveling mind.

I love how the kids were so terrible in the final round that JD Roth was just telling them where to look. What a nice guy JD Roth is. A little known fact about JD Roth is that he is the co-creator of "The Biggest Loser" and also the announcer. On second thought, if you did not know that about JD Roth then you clearly are not as big of a fan of him as I am. JD Roth is now 42 years old. If you will please excuse me, I am now going to throw up and cry myself to sleep because everyone is so old.



32. Dog Eat Dog (2002-2003) NBC - Like almost every game show here in the US, we stole Dog Eat Dog from another country; inm this case, the UK. Dog Eat Dog was hosted by Brook Burns, which means it automatically got a spot on the countdown. Other than Burns, I loved the elimination part of Dog Eat Dog which sent the pathetic losers to the "dog pound." Just when they thought their dream on winning $$$ on Dog Eat Dog was over, they were awarded the opportunity to steal the cash from the sole remaining contestant if said contestant got a stupid trivia question wrong. It seemed awfully unfair to me, but nevertheless, I really dug the show. Get it, dogs dig and I said "I dug the show."


Brooke Burns may be the worst host of all time, but nobody, including NBC cared to notice whatsoever.

31. Pyramid
* $10,000 Pyramid (1973-1974) CBS, (1974-1976) ABC
* $20,000 Pyramid (1976-1980) ABC
* $25,000 Pyramid (1974-1979) Weekly Syndication
* $50,000 Pyramid (1981) Daily Syndication
* The (New) $25,000 Pyramid (1982-1988)
* The $100,000 Pyramid (1985-1988, 1991) Daily Syndication
* Pyramid (2002-2004) Daily Syndication

Call it what you want. You know it. You loved it. You tried to play along at home and tried not to look at the bottom of the screen, but you always gave in and looked at the answer at the bottom of the screen. Its, Pyramid!!!!!!!!!!!! or $10,000 Pyramid!!!!!!!!!! or $20,000 Pyramid!!!!!!!!! or $25,000 Pyramid!!!!!!!! etc. I was going to write all of the titles, but got real tired of having to hit the italics button every time I wanted to type the name of the show and hit it again every time I needed to type "or."
For some reason I could not wait until this show would come on every day after school. I don't think I ever successfully played the game without cheating, but it was still fun to watch the contestants bond with their partner only to have them compete with their opponents the very next round. It seemed so cruel to have them switch. Imagine having Richard Simmons as your partner and he helped you get to the bonus round. You laughed with him, you cried with him, you trusted him as your only partner in the game. You loved Richard Simmons.

Then, Richard Simmons is pulled away from you and forced to work with your adversary and he is now helping HER get to the bonus round and you are stuck with Loni Anderson, who just so happens to completely SUCK at giving clues AND guessing clues.

What bunch of evil producers came up with this brutal game show?


I am just waiting for next fall when $1,000,000 Pyramid comes to NBC for the fall sweeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment