Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Favorite Songs of 2011 (20-11)

20. The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie by Red Hot Chili Peppers - While I think the name of the song is completely ridiculous, the song itself is my favorite Chili Peppers song in a while. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been a central part of my music collection for my entire life. They are one of, if not the only band in which I have tapes, CD's, Vinyls, and digital downloads. After twenty plus years of hit after hit "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie" is further proof that The Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the greatest bands of my generation.




19. Miss K by Deer Tick - I know that there are many different musical tastes out there, but I would be shocked to hear that there was anyone out there that does not enjoy this Deer Tick track. While I agree that it may take a certain appreciation for Indie-Folk Rock to enjoy many Deer Tick songs, there is no effort needed to appreciate "Miss K" for the beauty of a track that it is. Simply said - "Miss K" can make even the most miserable, up-tight person tap his foot and enjoy life.



18. Summer of '89 by Butch Walker & the Black Widows - I have absolutely no clue who the Black Widows are, but I couldn't care any less because Butch Walker could form a band with the Muppet Babies and I would probably buy the album. I am sure many of you are not familiar with Butch Walker, but in my opinion he is one of the greatest musicians (recording artist/songwriter/record producer) of the past few decades. He is the former lead singer of the band Marvelous 3 (which I am sure about 2 of you remember.) He then went on his own and released two insanely good albums (Sycamore Meadows and Left of Self Centered.) Walker then released the album The Rise and Fall of Butch Walker and the Lets Go Out Tonites as Butch Walker and the Let's Go Out Tonites. Finally, this year brought us Butch Walker & the Black Widows and this gem of a song. "Summer of 89" is one of Walker's best tracks to date. I wanted to be friends with Butch Walker back in the 90's when I was a teenager, and I want to be friends with Walker even more now that I am a 32 year old man. What does that say about him................. and me. 


If you truly care about me, you will watch this video. Then you will tell me about how much you love it either through oral communication, written expression, or any other mode of interaction that you deem appropriate.

Also, for all of you too lazy to look up Butch Walkers band Marvelous 3 (from the 90's) here is a video of their biggest hit, "Freak of the Week."






17. Not Your Fault by Awolnation - If I had only listened to this song this summer when it was handed to me by my co-bartender, Erin, it may have made it even higher than number 17. It turns out, however, that I didn't hear (and actually pay attention to it) until late November, just a few short weeks prior to making the countdown. I have since bought the Awolnation album and am blown away by how amazing it is. EVERY song is so unique and distinct that every time I listen to the album I am mesmerized. I almost did not give "Not Your Fault" a chance because I don't love the first 45 seconds of the song, but the chorus is my favorite chorus of 2011 and smacks me in the face every time. If you do not listen to this song then it is definitely NOT NOT your fault, meaning it is 100% your fault and you should be ashamed of yourself.


***** I understand the first 45 seconds may be a little odd, but you must stick with it to :47 and I promise you will not be disappointed************* 






16. We Are Young by Fun. - I heard of Fun. for the very first time in November and "We Are Young" was a surprise hit at the end of the year. Throughout the past few weeks I have seen many people post this video on their Facebook page and tell the world how much they love it (I am pretty sure the song was featured on some TV show). I have refrained from commenting because I did not want to spoil the surprise of how much I, too, love it. I am ashamed to say that I have not got around to purchasing the Fun. album yet, but I plan on doing so in the next few days. Also, the band is coming to Rhode Island in March and I will surely be in attendance. The concert is sure to be a ton of F.U.N.







15. Under the Cover of Darkness by The Strokes - I was never a huge fan of The Strokes until Julian Casablancas came out with his solo album. I became totally obsessed with the guy and now I am in love with The Strokes as well. I have issues, I know. Anyway, "Under the Cover of Darkness" is a complete blast (possibly even my favorite Strokes song of all time) and yet another reason why Julian Casablancas should run away should I ever be lucky enough to meet him in person. 






Here is a very special performance of Julian Casablancas "Out of the Blue" which made my top ten songs of 2011. 



14. My Body by Young the Giant - Once again I have shocked myself at how low a song appears on my own countdown. 

My Body is perfect. There is nothing wrong with My Body at all. EVERYONE loves My Body. My Body was a huge hit this past summer. Young and Old all love My Body. I love My Body.


The song is also pretty great and one of my favorite songs of the year, I simply (apparently) like 13 songs  a little, little, little bit more. Don't feel too bad for Young the Giant though, they are not through with this countdown just yet!







13. Blame it On the Beer by Chase Rice - I don't think I listened to, or quoted a song more than "Blame it On the Beer" this year. I am not going to rant and rave about Chase Rice because I have already done that for his first THREE songs that have already made the countdown. "Blame It on the Beer" makes me want to be friends with Chase Rice more than any song in the history of music has made me want to be friends with anyone. I would trade every friend I have ever made in my life just to be friends with Chase Rice. I hope that doesn't offend anybody. If you know me, you know how much I exaggerate. (Although, in this case I am not exaggerating at all.) I would drop you all like a bad habit if Chase Rice wanted to be my friend.
Here are some of the lyrics from "Blame it on the Beer" that are so beautiful they bring a tear to my eye...

"Drink after drink my nights come alive, the more I think about it, how the hell have I survived. And all the things I've done over the years, I ain't takin' the blame on this one, let's blame it on the beers."

".... I call my best friend, he says you did it again, man we really gotta talk. You gotta calm your ass down, lay off the Crown, this is getting out of hand. I said I'm Sorry Dude, don't mean to be rude, can't say no to a free keg stand."

".... when I get my rum, I have so much fun Sweet Tea just won't suffice."



See, how can you NOT want to be best friends with him? I would give my blessing to any of my friends that had to ditch me in order to be friends with Chase.

Shockingly, Chase still has one more song make an appearance on the countdown. A record FIVE songs  - the most impressive feat in the history of Ryan's Countdowns?????


***** For some reason I can not find "Blame it on the Beer" on youtube, so go buy it yourself on itunes. It is worth way more than $0.99 so don't be a cheap bastard. I will, however, include this unreleased little ditty from Chase called "Kiss My Ass." You can bet your bottom dollar that if this song is on Chase's first full length album (which hopefully will be released some time in 2012) then you will surely be reading about it on next years countdown.





12. Sydney (I'll Come Running) by Brett Dennen - Chase Rice and Brett Dennen have been in a heated battle all 2011 for the title of favorite male solo artist. Chase has a song in the top ten, while Brett falls just short of the top ten with "Sydney (I'll Come Running.) Like Chase Rice I have already went on and on about how much I love Brett Dennen so there is no need to elaborate any further. "Sydney (I'll Come Running)" could come on at a funeral and I would probably start dancing and singing along. I don't think I have the self control needed to not be happy when this song is on. If Brett Dennen ran for US President I would probably drop my entire life and become his campaign manager. How about Dennen/Rice 2012?
I suppose that would be funny if I was not 100% serious. 







11. Bulletproof Heart by My Chemical Romance - I love just about everything My Chemical Romance does, but I did not expect "Bulletproof Heart" to be this high. As I rank the songs, however, I am listening to them to help me make my final decisions. I kept trying to place "Bulletproof Heart" a little lower than 11, but I simply could not do it. I am not sure what it is about My Chemical Romance, but I find their music always gets me pumped up, and I find almost all their songs epic. I think "Bulletproof Heart" is nowhere near as epic as, say, "Welcome to the Black Parade", but I still find it epic nonetheless. Every album MCR releases I am more dumbfounded that the group of kids that released "I'm Not OKAY, (I Promise)" back in 2004 are still one of my favorite bands, 8 years later. I find that insane. 


"Bulletproof Heart"



Top Ten Coming Soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment